Last news from Poland

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Last news from Poland

Post by Admin on October 17th 2015, 2:36 pm

In this topic you can inform us about the brand new available models concerning the polish market.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Maybe not new...

Post by Paul B on November 19th 2015, 5:16 pm

...but some of the Polish railway models I have found since developing an interest in the PKP!

My first proper PKP stock - a TKp1 tank locomotive (ex-Prussian T13 or German BR92.5) with a PKP marked acid truck. The pots in the back of the truck were ceramic and were designed for carrying acidic liquids. Both models are by Fleischmann. Unfortunately neither appear to be readily available at this time. At some time I need to add some white lining on the red around the wheels and bottom of the tanks, as this was popular with the Polish loco's.

A chance discovery at Kernow Model Centre in the UK, also by Fleischmann - this set would usually cost well over £300, but they had it on sale for £171! Shocked I couldn't pass it by at that price!

I then needed something to pull them -

The big Russian built DR232 loco is known by the nickname of 'Ludmilla', and are still used by the Polish railway companies. When I saw that Brawa were producing this I had to have one!

Although the layout I am planning on building will not have overhead wires, when I saw this Hobbytrain E189 Husarz for sale I could not turn it down - yes, the Euro's price on the box is correct! My plan is to use a dummy BR242 I bought (presently in DB markings, but a planned repaint to a Polish railway company) to put in front. Hopefully this will make it look like the PKP Intercity loco has broken down, or is just running along a line with no overhead power.
Paul B

Back to top Go down

More Polish items

Post by Paul B on January 6th 2016, 6:05 pm

A few recent arrivals - apologies for the quality of the pics but they were taken on my phone! Embarassed

I got this one from a well known shop's e-bay site - originally I bought a cheaper example of this loco that had all of the markings worn away. However, despite it being marked as 'test run' I couldn't get it to go properly. I got in touch with the shop - they were most apologetic, and agreed that I could have this one instead for an extra £10. I was happy as this runs perfectly! It is a Fleischmann DB class 91. These were used by the Polish State Railways (PKP) and renumbered as the TKi3. Luckily I have found a manufacturer of transfers in Poland who makes a set of transfers to change a class 91 to a TKi3, so this will be re-marked some time!

This will teach me to trawl through You Tube, looking at Polish trains! I remembered seeing a video of this loco, a German BR275, pulling tankers somewhere in Poland. A little while later, I got an e-mail from Modellbahn Kramm saying that they had this very loco on special offer at €90 - about £65! As I have a set of 9 GATX tankers, I felt that this would be ideal for pulling them, as LOTOS is a Polish petrochemical company.

At the same time as buying the LOTOS diesel, I saw that Modellbahn Kramm were showing that they had the new Kuehn-model double decker coaches, in PKP colours, so I ordered a set. These turned out to be not actually in stock but awaited from the manufacturers - so I waited from the end of September to the end of December to receive them! At least they were worth the wait!
Paul B

Back to top Go down

Re: Last news from Poland

Post by Thomas on February 15th 2016, 11:44 am

Nice things, even if it doesn't look to give much polish locomotives and rolling stocks in N-scale.
Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul B on February 15th 2016, 8:26 pm

Well that is the thing - although Poland has (in my mind anyway!) a very interesting and eclectic mix of locos, coaches and rolling stock, I can never see it becoming that popular to model, especially in N gauge!

However, it does appear to me that, as more and more Polish loco's and rolling stock gets seen all across Europe, the mainstream manufacturers are bringing out models to represent them. Also there can only be a finite list of liveries that can be produced, so having items in Polish markings seems more likely. The only problems I have found is that they are often not available for that long (Fleischmann had a selection of PKP ICCC coaches, but they disappeared rather too quickly, and I missed out on them...)

Also, Polish State Railways have used lots of different items obtained from other railways, especially German railways since 1919 and again in 1945. They were also using Soviet locos and rolling stock, often adapted to run on standard gauge, although Russian gauge was used in eastern Poland.

Finally, for fans of steam, Poland only really stopped using steam on even main lines in the 1990's, and steam specials run on the mainline regularly today! As Poland was using a lot of ex-German locos, these can be bought and re-liveried into PKP steam locos! (I have a few that need doing when I get time!)
Paul B

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomas on February 18th 2016, 8:39 pm

A mix of different items obtained from other railways is, in my opinion, the mix for almost all railways from central Europa as I did can see it when I was in Hungary.
As Poland is the biggest of the central European countries, I think that the polish market is surely more interessant for the model train manufacturer than other former USSR-contries.

But you are right, we can see more and more Polish material all across Europe, and especially in Germany.
Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top